Do we need Planning Permission?
Altering your property sometimes requires planning permission but how do you know whether you need it for your chosen project? There are many regulations surrounding the subject so our guide will help you determine whether you require planning permission for your home improvement.
Conservatories & Extensions
Conservatories and extensions are considered a permitted development meaning you do NOT need an application for planning permission. However, this is subject to a number of conditions of which some are mentioned below. These differ slightly depending on whether it’s a conservatory or extension so check the Planning Portal website before going ahead.
- No more than half the area of land around the original house would be covered by additions or other buildings.
- No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
- No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
- Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
- Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
- Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
Windows & Doors
You do not usually need to apply for planning permission for:
- Repairs, maintenance, and minor improvements such as repainting window and door frames.
- Insertion of new windows and doors that are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house.
The permitted development rules allows for alterations subject to the following conditions:
- Any alternation to project no more than 150mm from the existing roof plane.
- No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- Side facing window to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
If you’re considering making a change to your property find out more by speaking to a member of our team on 01794 511180.